Thursday, September 1, 2016

Comedy of Errors: Dr. Drew Performs His First Videotaped Stand-Up Set

I think I have always been funny at the dinner table and in the class room. I remember getting classrooms to laugh as far back as my high school days. Nevertheless, I never attempted to do a real comedy act until last Saturday. Here's the video:



As I quickly learned, it is tougher to get laughs in the role of a stand-up comic. Most of my funny lines in the past have been based on what other people have been talking about, or else random comments at an instructor which drew laughs in the past that I have memorized and repeated.

As a stand-up comic, however, you need to establish your own premises and react to those instead. In this video, I'm getting about 2.5 laughs per minute. In real life, professional comedians are said to be "killing it" when they are getting 5 laughs per minute.

In this set, I get laughs for things that I did not expect to be funny, miss laughs which had gone well in rehearsal, and get plenty of laughs simply for almost knocking down the microphone stand. No matter what, Trish and I enjoyed the experience. I think my upcoming workshops will be more entertaining as a result of what I learned.


No comments: