Sunday, October 11, 2015

Learn Grant Writing in a Flash By Reading Copies of Winning Grants

One of the best decisions I ever made was to exercise my charity's right to read the winning grant application in an Orange County grant program. 
I remember that I felt like Bob Woodward the day I read through all the applications for a $400,000 program designed to serve foster care youth. 
I'll never forget the experience of seeing the successful application face-to-face.  It was filled, for example, with unneccessary but really beautiful color charts and graphs.  
It had a level of slickness and perfection that I did not even think would be normally expected of a struggling non-profit charity. 
Over the years, I have learned other lessons from looking at real world examples of grant writing success.  Ironically, I have learned that grant proposals do not need to be perfect to succeed.  Sometimes, incredible needs in your community are so great that the foundations appear willing to "throw money" at a problem, even if the proposed grant project is not the best possible solution. 
All of this reminds me that appearances matter in the world of grant writing - even though the highest rewards still go to those willing to take action, no matter what.

No comments: